What is Meningioma?
Meningioma is a type of brain tumor that forms in the meninges that surrounds the brain and spinal cord. Approximately 30 percent of all brain tumors are diagnosed as Meningioma. Meningioma may both be cancerous (malignant) or noncancerous (benign). Meningiomas grow slowly and may exist for years before being detected.
There are three types of meningioma categorized typical, atypical, and anaplastic. Typical and atypical types are generally noncancerous; the main difference between them is that the typical type of meningiomas grows slowly while the atypical type of meningiomas grows faster. Anaplastic, in other words, a “Grade III” type of meningioma is cancerous and grows and spreads quickly.
The main factor that causes meningioma is not known but, receiving radiation therapy or an alteration in chromosome 22 may cause meningioma.
Meningiomas commonly affect adults more than children and are more common among women aged 40 to 70 years. The average age at diagnosis is 66 years.
What are the Symptoms of Meningioma?
Symptoms change depending on the location of the tumor. In general, the signs and symptoms of a meningioma grow gradually and in the first stages, it may be relatively subtle to determine.
The common signs and symptoms of meningioma are;
- Headaches, (especially which happen in the morning)
- Blurred or double vision
- Weakness in the arms or legs
- Speech difficulty
Less common symptoms are;
- Loss of balance
- Hearing loss or ringing in the ears
- Memory loss
- Loss of smell
Treatments for Meningioma in Turkey (Türkiye)
Treatments for meningioma in Turkey are performed by experienced meningioma teams. Turkey offers quick test results, scheduled appointments, and highly specialized brain tumor experts to provide the best health care during the individual’s journey to healing.
In Turkey, individuals find fully equipped clinics and hospitals in which the latest imaging and diagnostic tools are available.
Numerous meningioma-diagnosed individuals travel to Turkey each year to get the best treatment that including computer-assisted brain surgery, awake brain surgery, and brain stereotactic radiosurgery.
Treatments for Meningioma in Turkey include;
- Surgery: Surgery is the first option if a meningioma has symptoms or growing. The location of the tumor determines if it is possible to remove the whole tumor or not. Total removal is the only treatment that provides full healing. In cases when total removal is not possible then radiation therapy is considered a complementary treatment option.
- Radiation therapy: Radiation therapy is the option when tumor removal is inoperable or incomplete. Radiation therapy aims to destroy the cells to block them from dividing and reproducing.
- Chemotherapy (rarely): In cases when the surgery and/or radiation doesn’t respond then Chemotherapy is considered an option.
For further information and treatment please contact…